In Matthew 12:33-34 Jesus taught us:
- that we will be known by our fruit
- and the mouth bears the fruit of the heart.
Gossip is a particularly aggressive sin against the commandment to love thy neighbor. We can go out of our way to gossip, or we can do it without giving it a second thought.
How ever we do it, the result is never good.
Scripture leaves little doubt as to how God feels about gossip. Here are five things the New Testament has to say about the aspects gossip:
- The tongue is a small member that can cause big trouble – James 3:5
- Corrupt speech is sinful Ephesians 4:29-31
- Mind your own business 1 Thessalonians 4:11, 2 Thessalonians 3:11-12
- Babbling is ungodly 2 Timothy 2:16
- Lay aside the evil thoughts 1 Peter 2:1